Wednesday, April 6, 2016

How Well Did I Predict John Sterling's Homer Call for Starlin Castro?

Please allow me to take a bow. Right before spring training, Kavanaugh and I predicted how we thought John Sterling would call home runs for this season's newest Yankees. Here's what I guessed for second baseman Starlin Castro:

"Starlin is New York's new darlin'!"

As easy (and probable) as it would be for Sterling to use a pun on "Star" (e.g., "Castro's got star power!"), I think he'll go the rhyming route.


Well, in the second inning of Wednesday night's game against the Astros, Castro blasted a dinger to left and Sterling delivered this call: "He is Darlin' Starlin."

My prediction wasn't perfect, and it wasn't nearly as prescient as, say, Joe Posnanski forecasting the Royals' 2015 World Series win five years in advance. Still, I have a pretty decent handle on Jawn's corny home run calls at this point.

By the way, pretty weak call. That's what Sterling came up with in his five months off?


If you want to subscribe to How Blank, just type in your email address on the right side of the page. You'll get a notification every time we post new content.

Follow Francis Tolan on Twitter @frantweet

No comments:

Post a Comment