Friday, February 12, 2016

How Stereotypical Is This Irish Candy?

Since I've been trafficking in mildly offensive -- and, I think, pretty funny -- stereotypes on this blog lately, I figured I'd share a story about my neighborhood. I live in a Bronx area called Woodlawn, one of the last true Irish hamlets in New York City. Woodlawn's Wikipedia page boasts "a large variety of Irish and non-Irish restaurants and diners, two Irish gift shops, The Aisling Irish Community Center, an Irish Butcher Shop..." And, of course, "many Irish pubs."

Anyways, I was walking by the neighborhood candy store on McLean Avenue and the sign in the window caught my eye:


Do you see the headliner on that sign? Above "Hot Cocoa," "Valentine's Gifts & Cards," and "Gourment Cupcakes," we have "Irish Potato Candy":


Irish Potato Candy? I can't think of a less appetizing sweet treat. (Well, except maybe "Sugar Free Candy," which is also advertised on that sign. Worst candy marketing ever at the Woodlawn Sweet Shop...) I'm envisioning a bland-looking round hard candy that leaves a bunch of grit in your teeth when you're finished.

Maybe I'm wrong and potato candy is delicious. Maybe it tastes like a brilliant mixture of sugar and French fries or something. Still, I'm reminded of Homer Simpson's first reaction when the street vendor offers him a Mountain Dew and he responds, "Ugh, I'll take a crab juice!"


Last time I checked, Little Italy doesn't feature meatball-flavored gumballs and Chinatown's shops don't advertise pork-fried lollipops. Lose the potato candy, Irish people. At least change its name so the stereotypes aren't so easy.


If you want to subscribe to How Blank, just type in your email address on the right side of the page. You'll get a notification every time we post new content.

Follow Francis Tolan on Twitter @frantweet

No comments:

Post a Comment