Thursday, November 5, 2015

How Important Is Making Your Own Luck?

My eighth graders took a test this morning and instead of writing "GOOD LUCK" on the board like I normally do, I went with this gem:



That's right: "I make my own luck..."-Cal, Titanic

Because what better role model is there for the youth of America than Caledon Nathan Hockley? The answer, of course, is nobody. There is no better role model than the fierce, determined, handsome, preposterously wealthy Cal.

After the test, I wondered if I should have written "'I make my own luck...'-Billy Zane, Titanic"-Dwight Schrute.


Using that type of metaquote would really be taking a page out of the playbook of Dwight's boss:

Via theofficeisms.com
Ah, Michael Scott...the second-best role model for America's youth. Next time my students take a test, I'll use one of his motivational quotes. There are a bunch to choose from, but I'll probably go with "Monkey see, monkey do. Monkey pee all over you." Even Cal would have a chuckle at that one.


If you want to subscribe to How Blank, just type in your email address on the right side of the page. You'll get a notification every time we post new content.

Follow Francis Tolan on Twitter @frantweet

No comments:

Post a Comment