The one-game playoff in baseball is like...
- If the first round of the NFL playoffs were decided by a game that went straight to overtime.
- When you're making a grilled cheese and you're really hungry so you turn the flame on way too high and burn the sandwich to a crisp. The losing team basically just eats that terrible sandwich while the winner gets another shot at making a decent grilled cheese. There's no guarantee that the second one will be any good, either.
- The last scene in the first Hunger Games, when Katniss and Peeta are the only surviving contestants. Fortunately for the Yankees, they can murder Dallas Keuchel and the Astros like Katniss should've finished off Peeta. Unfortunately, like Katniss, the Yanks would have another battle to the death waiting for them in the ALDS against the Royals.
- Space Jam. The one-game playoff is like the final game in Space Jam, a winner-take-all extravaganza that doesn't necessarily reflect the teams' true talent. (Michael Jordan was amazing, but I still think the Monstars should have won. After all, Newman was one of the Tune Squad's key players.)
- Speaking of Newman, MLB's one-game playoff game is as diabolical as any of the Seinfeld villain's nefarious schemes.
On the bright side, most of the things that resemble baseball's one-game playoff are fun. The NFL, Space Jam, grilled cheese, and Newman from Seinfeld are all fun. Ergo, tonight's game should be pretty fun. Unless, of course, it's not.
If you want to subscribe to How Blank, just type in your email address on the right side of the page. You'll get a notification every time we post new content.
Follow Francis Tolan on Twitter @frantweet