Monday, October 13, 2014

How About the Other Chris Columbus?

In honor of Columbus Day, let's examine the feats of the most important Chris Columbus -- that is, Chris Columbus, legendary filmmaker.

Here are my five favorite Columbus movies:

5. Jingle All the Way
You thought sailing across the Atlantic during the 15th century was impressive? Well, how about successfully teaming Sinbad and Ahnuld -- two of the most inept actors ever -- for a Christmas movie? Just an unbelievable accomplishment.

4. The Goonies
During the summer, I tackled this one in detail.

3. Mrs. Doubtfire
Here's what I wrote after choosing Mrs. Doubtfire in How Blank's Golden Globe Draft:

"I'm grabbing Mrs. Doubtfire (Comedy/Musical, 1993), one of the few comedies about which my mother and I truly agree. The best parts of the movie happen apart from actual plot movement. I love all the scenes with the horny bus driver, the lecherous boss, and Daniel's brother and his partner. I also belly-laugh at the old lady's vendetta against Brosnan's character Stuart. 'Your Mercedes?' 'It was a run-by fruiting...Loser.'"

2. Home Alone
Booby traps, borderline foul language, Buzz, Joe Pesci, Uncle Frank, the terrific film-within-a-film... What more could a kid ask for in a movie?

1. Home Alone 2: Lost in New York
One of the few sequels that outshines the original. Columbus filled Home Alone 2 with some of the biggest assholes in movie history.


Columbus also produced all the Harry Potter movies. I'm not a huge fan, but along with the five films that I mentioned, that puts Columbus in the pantheon of kids' movie makers. Give thanks to him on this Columbus Day.


If you want to subscribe to How Blank, just type in your email address on the right side of the page. You'll get a notification every time we post new content.

Follow FranT on Twitter at @frantweet and follow Brian Kavanaugh at @btkav

No comments:

Post a Comment