Tuesday, September 23, 2014

How Mainstream Is the Word "Skell"?

I thoroughly enjoyed Monday's series premiere of the show Gotham, in large part because of this scene:


Did you hear it? "Self-righteous, do-goodin' skell-huggers. Always bad-mouthin' us...Like they're such freakin' angels. Please."

Detective Harvey Bullock (played by Donal Logue) uttered the word "skell" on network television!*

*At least, I think he did. I can't figure out what other word that could have been.

It's the most high-profile use of "skell" that I've ever heard. Sure, some skells have been mainstream figures (Charles Bukowski, Charlie Sheen, etc.), but I've never heard the term in such a mainstream setting.

I was happy to hear one of my favorite words on TV, and I hope showrunner Bruno Heller makes it a staple of Gotham. There are plenty of skells in the fictional Gotham City, and it would only be right to call them what they are.


If you want to subscribe to How Blank, just type in your email address on the right side of the page. You'll get a notification every time we post new content.

Follow FranT on Twitter at @frantweet and follow Brian Kavanaugh at @btkav

No comments:

Post a Comment