Wednesday, June 11, 2014

How Cartoonish Is My Uncle?

My uncle Pat is a lawyer in Brooklyn, and he called his sister to tell her that he recently won a pretty big case. She looked it up and found this sketch in the newspaper:

Photo via brooklyneagle.com
My uncle is pictured on the far right, and we had a few laughs teasing him about this caricature over the weekend. He, of course, claims that it "doesn't look like me," but that's pretty dubious.

In search of the proper comparison for Cartoon Pat, I Googled "pumpkin man", "operation boardgame", "wizard of oz scarecrow", "bill clinton", and "cecil from the simpsons". Still, I think the closest look-alike is Jeff Daniels' character Harry from Dumb and Dumber. Here, see for yourself:

 

I wonder if Pat uses this rhetorical technique in the courtroom:


I'd love to hear a trial lawyer follow an argument with the phrase "Double-stamped it, no erasies!"

Whether the cartoon looks exactly like Pat or not, it looks very much like Harry Dunne. And just the thought of Harry standing in front of a judge makes me giggle a little. Thank goodness for courtroom sketch artists.


If you want to subscribe to How Blank, just type in your email address on the right side of the page. You'll get a notification every time we post new content.

Follow FranT on Twitter at @frantweet and follow Brian Kavanaugh at @btkav

1 comment:

  1. I am hoping that you can attach another picture that strongly resembles the artist's portrayal. It was on Page 6 of the NY Post today. Look in your e.mail.


    ReplyDelete