Saturday, March 1, 2014

How Villainous Are These Animated Characters?

On Monday, I put together a list of my favorite child villains.* Today we'll tackle the best villains in animated films.

*My bad on the omissions of Troy Perkins (The Goonies) and Johnny Lawrence (The Karate Kid). I'll try harder in this post.

Let's go in descending order this time.

Top 10 Animated Villains

10. Prince John (Robin Hood)
It saddens me that kids don't know about Robin Hood anymore, but I'm doing my best keep the Disney version in the public consciousness. Prince John is a huge crybaby, which almost knocked him off this list entirely. Most other Disney villains would give him the Stone Cold Steve Austin treatment.

9. Captain Hook (Peter Pan)
Now here's a manly villain. The Cap'n promises not to lay a finger (or a hook) on Peter Pan, then drops a bomb on the Lost Boys' hideout. It doesn't get much more diabolical than that.

8. Gaston (Beauty and the Beast)
Gaston loses villain points for being French, but he gains those points back by owning one of the best fictional bars ever.

7. Carface (All Dogs Go to Heaven)
Some of my buddies annoy me, but I would never get them drunk and murder them. I guess that's the main difference between Carface and me. Like Captain Hook, Carface ends up at the mercy of an alligator.



6. Maleficent (Sleeping Beauty)
Many of Disney's other evil characters were modeled after this stone-cold biotch. She's even getting her own live-action film this spring. Angelina Jolie -- who once infamously wore a vial of Billy Bob Thornton's blood -- is a great casting choice.

5. Shere Khan (The Jungle Book)
In Khan's defense, I'd want to kill Mowgli, too. There's no place for a man-cub in the jungle, especially an annoying, whining man-cub.

4. Ursula (The Little Mermaid)
I've met a few girls named Ursula... Let's just say they didn't make me feel like this priest.



3. Cruella De Vil (101 Dalmations)
Have you ever spent time with a dalmation? They're really horrible creatures. For that reason, I don't think Cruella is quite as evil as our top two villains.

Even though it didn't make either of our lists of Disney songs, Cruella's theme song is a banger.

  

Also, Selena Gomez...



2. Jafar (Aladdin)

(Photo via aladdin.wikia.com)
In a Royal Rumble of all the characters on this list, I'd take Jafar. He's such a badass that he even has his own sequel.

1. Scar (The Lion King)
My buddy Jimmy says that Scar is the best movie villain ever. That might be a bit hyperbolic, but it's not outrageous. I remember seeing The Lion King at the theater and hearing the crowd erupt as the hyenas tore Scar to shreds. It was like attending a Yankees-Red Sox game at the Stadium. I drafted The Lion King as one of my top Golden Globe nominees, and Scar is one of the main reasons for that pick. Simba dethrones him at the end of the film, but don't expect anyone else to ever take over the top spot on this list.


Check back in a few days for the top villains in live-action children's movies.


If you want to subscribe to How Blank, just type in your email address on the right side of the page. You'll get a notification every time we post new content.

Follow FranT on Twitter at @frantweet and follow Brian Kavanaugh at @btkav  

2 comments:

  1. I dont know his name but the dude in fival goes west. the cat i think!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That's a good one! I just looked him up. His full name is Cat R. Waul.

      Another one I left off: Dr. Robotnik from Sonic the Hedgehog.

      Delete