Thursday, March 27, 2014

How Should We Feel About the Tanaka SI Cover?

So this came in the mail today:


That's right. Masahiro Tanaka graces the cover of this week's issue of Sports Illustrated.

I've gotta be honest; I'm not sure how I feel about it. On the one hand, CC Sabathia showed up on the cover of the 2009 season preview and the Yanks won Championship No. 27.

(Photo vie cnnsi.com)
On the other, much larger hand (think the Greek Freak), the Sports Illustrated Cover Jinx is a real thing. The magazine itself even ran this cover a few years back.

(Photo via amazon.com)
That's before we even mention what SI did to poor Dougie McBuckets by comparing him to Larry Bird two weeks ago.


And that's before we mention that Tanaka has never thrown a pitch in the U.S., and that the Yankees' track record with pitchers from the Land of the Rising Sun includes Hideki Irabu and Kei Igawa.

When I opened this week's issue, I was hoping that I'd see five other regional covers featuring teams throughout the league. But, nope. I think that Tanaka's mug is on every copy of SI in the country.

I'm not a superstitious guy, even less so than Michael Scott. For instance, I think it's absurd that skyscrapers refuse to label the thirteenth floor and that some people avoid cracked mirrors. With that being said, let me repeat: The Sports Illustrated Cover Jinx is REAL.

Tanaka's doomed and the season's over before it has started. Hey, at least Tanaka's got a hot wife.


If you want to subscribe to How Blank, just type in your email address on the right side of the page. You'll get a notification every time we post new content.

Follow FranT on Twitter at @frantweet and follow Brian Kavanaugh at @btkav

No comments:

Post a Comment