Wednesday, November 6, 2013

How Much Do Americans Really Like to Vote?

Yesterday's voter turnout in New York City's mayoral election appears to have set a record low, with just 24 percent of registered voters fulfilling their civic duty.

As I read about that, I felt a little better about the current poll on this blog. Then, I did the math and realized that far fewer than 24 percent of our readers have voted an answer to the question "In which fictional bar would you most like to drink?"

Over 200 people visited How Blank yesterday, but only three of them voted, good for just 1.5 percent.

I'm not too upset, partly because I'm one of the 76 percent who failed to make it to the polls in NYC yesterday. Even though I work for the city, I didn't help choose our next Hizzoner. I usually only crawl out of my political hole every four years for presidential elections. To me, voting for the president is like New Year's Eve -- you know it's going to suck, but you still don't want to miss out.

Despite my own voter apathy, I'm still wondering what I could have done to increase voter turnout on How Blank. Should I have included MacLaren's Pub from How I Met Your Mother as one of the answer choices? Should I have made the poll more accessible? (I mean, it's pretty visible on the right side of the page. No, really...place your vote there right now.) Should I have put up a German version of the poll to appeal to our eight readers from Deutschland last week?

Or, would people abstain no matter what?

Even if the poll is flawed, I'm looking forward to the results. You can still vote or tell your friends to do so for another month. I'm really hoping you share my view that Cheers is the best fictional bar.

Finally, in honor of Diddy officially changing his birthday like a baller, remember:

No comments:

Post a Comment