Wednesday, November 6, 2013

How Does the Middle Feel?

I'm going to withhold any true reaction, analysis, or breakdown of How Blank's beloved Knicks through four games, and just tell you how I feel. 

The expectations were fairly high, and the roster is pretty talented. But the East is pretty top-heavy, and the Knicks just lost their best defender for 4-6 weeks from a team whose defense was already in question, depending on the lineup. We've got too many of some positions, not enough of others, a crazy owner, and a dance team that can't...dance? Wait a second, I hear this song playing...it goes like this:


"Well I don't know why I came here tonight,
I got the feeling that something ain't right,
I'm so scared in case I fall off my chair,
And I'm wondering how I'll get down the stairs,
Clowns to the left of me,
Jokers to the right, here I am,
Stuck in the middle with you."




That's right, we're stuck in the middle with the Knicks! In August I wrote about not knowing what it's like to root for a middle of the road team. I think that's what we've got here, at least for the first third of the season. We've seen the good over the past year, and now we're seeing some of the not so good. I was with FranT on predicting a season full of headaches and excitement. I'd say we're in for more of the former coming up. But there's a certain beauty in latching yourself to an unpredictable team that produces mixed results, right? Anyone can root for a contender, and anyone can half give up on a stinker and hope their team is good at "Riggin for Wiggins". But to be in that middle ground is special, and requires a special kind of fan...at least that's what I'm going to tell myself moving forward. 

The middle is not necessarily the middle of the pack in the East, or even in the middle of the East's 1-8 standings (that wouldn’t be that bad). The middle is that unsteady sea, that game in game out uncertainty. It's a lofty ceiling of greatness, but a very visible floor of mediocrity.
"But in reality nothing is more damaging to the adventurous spirit within a man than a secure future."
-Chris McCandless

Amen Chris! Who wants to have a season they know will be full of wins and a great playoff seed? Where's the fun in that? 

So here's to the adventure. You can have your Pacers, your Spurs, and your Heat. I'm going to live the highs and lows - but really the middles - of the Bockers. What's that? I'm hearing another song..

"..don't write yourself off yet..

..it just takes some time, in the middle..

everything everything will be just fine"



No comments:

Post a Comment