Tuesday, June 18, 2013

How Raucous are Chants?

I was at a bachelor party in Atlantic City this weekend -- skelling hard, of course -- and we were chanting frequently. I can't repeat most of the inappropriate chants here, but suffice it to say that the chants enhanced the quality of the party.

It got me thinking about some of my favorite chants of all-time. Here are my top five:

5. "Na, na, na, naaa... na, na, na, naaa.... Hey, hey, heeey...goodbye!"
This chant comes from the song "Na Na Hey Hey Kiss Him Goodbye" and is a mainstay at any event at which someone gets ejected. It's great to be part of the chorus when someone gets thrown out, unless the guy getting booted is the one buddy you came to the game with. Trust me, I know from experience.

4. "Who's your daddy?!!"
This phrase, directed mockingly at Red Sox pitcher Pedro Martinez, was probably the most spirited chant I ever took part in. During the 2004 ALCS, Pedro said, "They beat me. They're that good right now. They're that hot. I just tip my hat and call the Yankees my daddy." Obviously, Yankee fans picked up that quote and ran with it, leading to raucous Yankee Stadium crowds twisting any JumboTron noise into "Who's your daddy?" The chant resurfaced later when Pedro pitched for the Phillies and Mets.

The New York tabloids and fans had a lot of fun abusing Pedro.


3. "Let's go Yankees!", "Boston Sucks!"
Two oldies but goodies, these are the songs of my youth. They will never get old. And -- certainly -- neither will the top two chants on this list...

2. "Olé, Olé, Olé, Olé, Ohh-lé, Ohh-lé!"

You're damn right I just went ethnic on your ass! This is a great chant at a soccer game, or any other event where a heavy dosage of alcohol is being consumed. Still, the "Olé" chant is no match for the superpower of this list.

1. "U-S-A!"
I've posted this before and I'll post it again:


The "U-S-A!" chant is numero uno NUMBER ONE for its unifying power. Nationalism on top of patriotism, served with a side of allegiance to the flag. It may even seem irrational at times, but it's amazing to chant for your country as 50,000 other people do the same.


2 comments:

  1. What about "we will rock you!", "Airrrrrr Baaallllll!!" And the great "AAAASSSSSSSSSSSSS HOOOOOOOOOLE!!"?????

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, you and I have had the "AAAAAASS-HOOOOOOOOOLE!" chant directed at us before, so I guess we should enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete