Friday, May 17, 2013

How Do You Stack Your Chips?


Well this is as lunchtime of a blog as lunchtime blogs go: How would you rank the Big 3 of Potato Chip flavors, BBQ, Sour Cream & Onion, and Salt & Vinegar?




Let’s do this in the best format for deciding between any 3 things: MFK

First, let’s acknowledge the fact it depends on the type of chip and the brand. Experienced chip eaters know that SC&O work best in the ridged/ruffle style, BBQ are probably the best when kettle-cooked, and S&V work in any medium of chip. Actually, those might just be my preferences, but everyone has their own, so you can’t ignore the fact that the type of chip is a factor.

But this ranking is type or style ignorant. It strictly considers flavor, so you have to think about what you’d want on any kind of chip.

Here’s how anyone with a brain and a refined palette like me chooses

M: Salt and Vinegar
F: Sour Cream and Onion
K: Barbeque

K - BBQ. 


What is Barbeque? So I’m supposed to believe these chips taste like Barbeque....sauce? That’s my main issue with these. I’d rather be eating the food this chip purports to taste like. It’s why I stay away from Dill Pickle chips or Buffalo Hot Wing Doritos. Conversely, you would never catch me eating a bowl of sour cream and onions or slugging a vat of salt and vinegar. But they make for excellent chip flavors. I’m killing BBQ, and focusing on the other two..

F - Sour Cream and Onion


You F these because they’re not good all the time, they’re phenomenal once in awhile. Not your purchase week after week at the grocery store, but then you get a bag of Sour Cream and Onion ridges with lunch and they’re so fantastic you wonder how you ever put up with your other chips for so long. Or in a drunken moment when people are passing around a bag of these bad boys and you go to town, only to wake up in the morning wallowing in regret with crumbs on your hands.

I have to admit that the Sour Cream and Onion ridges in my cabinet are slowly becoming my mistress.

M - Salt and Vinegar. 

Utz S & V put hair on your chest

Salt? Goooood. Vinegar? Goooodd. Put em together? Now we’re talking. I’ve been a S & V guy from day one. Sometimes the flavor is subtle, sometimes it tastes like acid and feels like sandpaper, but it’s wonderful all the same. Friends and family over the years have expressed their disgust - but true love like this endures all.

I defy anyone to come up with a different order. GO!

No comments:

Post a Comment