Wednesday, April 3, 2013

How Comical are Others' Accents?

It's been a few days, but I'm back. Sorry, but Spring Break is a busy time for a teacher. After last week, I feel like I need a break from my vacation. Woe is FranT...

Anyways, this weekend one of my sisters was telling a story about our dad from earlier in the day. He said he was out for a drive and "saw a woof." "A what?" she asked him. "A woof." It went back and forth like an Abbott and Costello routine until she finally figured out that Dad had seen a wolf. Oh, right, a woof.

It just made me think about some of the various accents I've laughed at through the years.

During college, we always had discussions about the way kids from other parts of the country said certain words. A couple kids from the Midwest called bagels bag-guls, with a long-a sound. We New Yorkers obviously said our "r" sounds like "w" sounds. And kids from Boston pretty much said everything like they were drunk Neandarthals.

Even better than other Americans' ways of speaking are the accents of foreigners. When I was abroad this summer, my buddy Kendrew and I enjoyed mimicking some of the words used by fellow travelers. From Brits, we stole the words wanker and bollocks, as well as any word with a "th" that we could turn into an "f" sound. (Examples: Thanks became fanks and through became frough.) From Australians, we adopted the word dodgy, which isn't really an accent-based word but it's fun to say. And from Scottish people, we couldn't really steal anything because they're so damn difficult to understand. Here, look:



Ever since we went to Jamaica in college, my buddy Pat and some of our other friends have been on a Jamaican kick. The other day, he sent my fiancĂ©e this:



Which all goes to show that when you say tomato, I say to-mah-to. And when you say woof, I sure as hell don't hear wolf.





P.S. Here's the obligatory Simpsons video:

Ohh, a "gime."

No comments:

Post a Comment