Friday, March 8, 2013

How Satisfying is Kentucky's Freefall?

So this is what it's like for most people when the Yankees and Notre Dame fail, huh? I have lived in New York and loved the Yanks my whole life, and I went to ND, so I have legit reasons for rooting for those teams. I have always made fun of people that rooted against certain teams more than they cheered for their own teams. In short, I hated hatahs. It just seemed like a miserable sports-fan existence.

I must admit, though, that Kentucky basketball's recent troubles have been enjoyable for me -- and, I'm sure, many others. They lost last night (to Georgia!) for the fourth time in seven games. I love it because I hate them. I hate Rajon Rondo, Tayshaun Prince, the stupid Wildcat mascot, racist Adolph Rupp, UK Superfan Ashley Judd (Topless Double Jeopardy Ashley Judd is a different story), and the rest of their basketball program. Most of all, like many of us, I hate "Coach Cal." John Calipari's negative impact on college basketball has been well-chronicled, so I don't need to repeat it here. I just despise his whole sleazy act, whether it's "within the rules" or not.

"I know I’m not a saint, but I’m not the guy I’m made out to be by others."
After the Georgia game, Calipari tried to take responsibility for his team's recent struggles.

“I’m so disappointed in the job I’ve done with this team,” he said Thursday night. “I’ve never had a team not cohesive at this time of year. Every one of my teams ... cohesive. Every one of them had a will to win. Every one of them had a fight. If this team doesn’t have that, that’s on me.”

For me, though, it wasn't so much what he said as how he said it. The man that usually exudes so much confidence sounded utterly helpless. Delightful!

The one bad part of this Kentucky saga has been Nerlens Noel's injury. Obviously, you never want someone to get hurt and Noel is no exception. I just wish he could have stayed in the lineup so there would be no excuse for the Wildcats. Because, honestly, they weren't exactly setting the hoops landscape on fire before he went down. They seemed soooooo young and inexperienced, and those qualities frequently led them to give up insurmountable runs.

Even with Noel's injury, I will continue to cheer vehemently against Kentucky. That's right, hatahs -- I guess I've always been one of you.

No comments:

Post a Comment