Thursday, March 7, 2013

How Do Kids Not Know Robin Hood?

As I've said before, I'm a middle-school teacher. The other day, during an after-school test prep program, we were reading about and comparing various Robin Hood myths throughout history. At some point, one of my brighter students pronounced Maid Marian's name "Maid Mary Ann." I corrected her and she again misread it. I corrected her once more, then asked the class, "You guys know the Robin Hood story, right?"
Blank stares.

In the words of Homer Simpson, "Sweet merciful crap!"


I was flabbergasted. How could they not know Robin Hood?
"You kids don't even know the Disney version with the fox as Robin Hood?" I asked.
"No," one of them replied. "We don't really watch Disney movies."
"What do you watch?"
"Like...Phineas and Ferb and iCarly."

Well, I guess that's curtains for a lot of the great characters many of us grew up with.


RIP, Old Fella. This generation has finally found an arrow with your name on it. Sweet merciful crap, indeed.

No comments:

Post a Comment